Student Dress Code
Education is the first priority of Jordan Elbridge Central School District. The only exceptions would be for health, religious or medical reasons or when authorized by the school for activity and/or fundraisers.
Students who violate the student dress code shall be required to modify their appearance by covering or removing the offending item and, if necessary or practical, replacing it with an acceptable item. Any student who refuses to do so shall be subject to discipline, up to and including in-school suspension for the day. Any student who repeatedly fails to comply with the dress code shall be subject to further discipline, up to and including out of school suspension.
- Clothing will be safe, appropriate and not disrupt or interfere with the educational process.
- No hats, coats, knit caps, bandanas or hoods will be worn or displayed after entering the building.
- Shirts will be long enough to cover the midriff. Shirts must provide adequate coverage at the neckline in both the front and the back. Under garments must be covered at all times. At no time should bras or bra straps be visible
- Pants, shorts, dresses and skirts must be secured at the waist and be of mid-thigh length or longer. Underwear and or midriffs must not be visible. This should allow adequate coverage for normal daily activities.
- Include footwear at all times. Footwear that is a safety hazard will not be allowed.
- Not include items that are vulgar, obscene, and libelous or denigrate others on account of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability
- Clothing should not have or make reference to violence, guns, weapons, profanity, alcohol, drugs, tobacco products, or make offensive statements about religion or gender.
- Chains or straps that hang from clothing are not permitted in school. They have proven to be disruptive and are considered unsafe.
- Students issued athletic uniforms may be worn as long as it complies with the guidelines listed above.
- Items not specifically addressed will be up to the discretion of the building staff or administrators. Each building principal or their designee shall be responsible for informing all students and their parents of the student dress code at the beginning of the school year and any revisions to the dress code made during the school year.
If students are wearing something that is not appropriate for school, any of the following procedures will take place.
- The student will be counseled about appropriate dress
- School personnel will seek assistance from parents
- Students will be asked to remedy the situation with another garment that they may have with them
- Students may be sent home to change
- Students can be subject to our discipline policy