1516 - Agenda Preparation & Communication
|Policy: Agenda Preparation & Communication||Policy Number: 1516|
|Date of Original Policy: 08/15/2012||Date Revision Adopted: 10/14/2020|
|Reviewed by Policy Committee: 10/17/2018||Date of Next Review: 09/16/2020|
|Replacement of Policy Number: 1512, 1513, 1514, 1515 (from 2002)|
The Jordan-Elbridge Board of Education and Superintendent are committed to working together to achieve and maintain both financial and educational soundness of the District. Agenda preparation, information and communication are vital instruments used to attain the success of this commitment.
2. Items submitted for inclusion after the deadline or those requiring significant preparation time, may at the discretion of the Board President, be deferred to a later meeting to allow staff sufficient time to prepare supporting information.
3. A draft agenda will be developed by the Superintendent and presented to the Board President for approval at least two (2) business days prior to the meeting for which the agenda is being prepared.
4. The draft agenda will include previously scheduled items from the Board activity calendar and/or any items the Board is required by law to consider or act on at the given meeting.
5. A consent agenda will be used to list items that will be presented together for a single vote.
a) Placement of items on the consent agenda will be at the discretion of the Board President and Superintendent.
b) Any individual Board member may ask to remove an item on the consent agenda by asking the President to remove it from the consent agenda for individual consideration.
c) Following action on the consent agenda, the President will allow discussion on any item requested for removal from the agenda by a Board member.
d) The consent agenda may include items including but not limited to the following:
• Second reading of district policies
Preparation for Board Meetings
2. The Superintendent will ensure that agenda packets are distributed to Board members at least two (2) business days before scheduled board meetings.
3. Board members prepare to address agenda items by doing the following:
a) Reading agenda packet materials before each Board meeting
b) Contact either the Superintendent or the Board President with any questions regarding agenda items or background information at least two (2) business days before the scheduled Board meeting.
4. Receiving answers to questions in advance does not preclude Board members from asking relevant questions regarding agenda items during a Board meeting
Communications Between Meetings
a) District events
b) Progress reports on Board goals and directives
c) Follow up reports in answer to Board member questions
d) Updates on administrative matters or district operations.
2. The Superintendent will meet with the Board President as needed or communicate by telephone, fax, text, and/or email to inform him or her of district issues that may need to come before the Board for information and/or action.
3. The Board President may direct the Superintendent to distribute copies of documents to each member of the board for information.The Board information packet will be used to distribute information unless circumstances dictate a more immediate delivery.
4. The Superintendent will communicate requested information to all Board members in as timely a manner as possible without interfering with the regular conduct of district business.
5. Board Members may communicate with other individual members for the purposes of asking questions, clarifying information or socializing under circumstances that do not conflict with or circumvent the NYS Open Meetings Law.
6. Board members may not communicate with other individual members for purposes of soliciting votes in support of or opposition to items of business that may come before the Board.
7. Board members who wish to share information relevant to district business or issues scheduled to come before the Board will relay the information to all Board members for placement on a future agenda and to the Superintendent for distribution to all members in the Board information packets.
Date of Original Policy 08/15/2012