6550 - Leaves of Absence
|Policy: Leaves of Absence||Policy Number: 6550|
|Date of Original Policy: 07/10/2002||Date Revision Adopted: 11/07/2018|
|Reviewed by Policy Committee: 10/17/2018||Date of Next Review: 12/09/2021|
|Replacement of Policy Number:|
a) In a general, leaves of absence:
2. The Board reserves the right to grant leaves of absence for purposes or under conditions not contemplated or considered in the policy statement
3. Under laws and rules governing such action, the District may undertake appropriate disciplinary action where a leave of absence is falsely requested or improperly used.
4. Except by permission of the Superintendent, as expressed in writing, the purpose or conditions of a leave of absence may not be altered.
b) Leaves of absence, contractual, et al:
2. Employees who are not members of a negotiating unit: Authorization is granted to approve requests for leaves of absence submitted by such employees where such requests are consistent with provision of contracts in effect between the District and the bargaining unit most compatible with the employment status of the employee.
3. Employees who are under contract to the District: Authorization is granted to implement provisions for leaves of absence contained in each such contract.
c) Leaves of absence, unpaid, not covered in b) 1. above. :
b) At the expiration of a paid sick leave of absence, to extend such a leave of absence for a period of time not to exceed the end of the school year next succeeding the school year in which the paid leave of absence commenced.
3. Unpaid leaves of absence shall not be granted unless the services of a substitute employee, satisfactory in the discretion of the Superintendent, can be secured.
4. Except where it interferes with an employee’s legal or contractual rights, the timing of unpaid leaves of absence will be granted at the convenience of the District.
The District will comply with state and federal laws regarding military leave and reemployment.
Education Law Sections 1709(16), 3005, 3005-a, and 3005-b
Civil Service Law Sections 71-73
Military Law Section 242
38 Untied States Code (U.S.C.) Sections 4301-4333